School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences
Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Biology (Double Major)
Degree Requirements (128-130 hours)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements1: 42 hours
Communication (6 hours)
3 hours Communication (RHET 1302)
Social and Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
6 hours American History
Humanities and Fine Arts (6 hours)
3 hours Fine Arts (ARTS 1301)
3 hours Humanities (HUMA 1301)
6 hours Calculus (MATH 2413 and 2414)
Science (9 hours)
II. Major Requirements: 71-73 hours
Criminology Major Preparatory Course (No hours beyond Core Curriculum)
Criminology Core Courses (24 hours)
CRIM 3300 Crime and Civil Liberties
CRIM 3301 Theories of Justice
CRIM 3302 Advanced Criminology
CRIM 3303 Advanced Criminal Justice
CRIM 3304 Research Methods in Crime and Justice Studies
CRIM 3319 Comparative Justice Systems
CRIM 4311 Crime and Justice Policy
CRIM 4322 Senior Research Seminar
Biology Major Preparatory Courses (15-17 hours beyond Core Curriculum)
CHEM 1111 General Chemistry Laboratory I
CHEM 1112 General Chemistry Laboratory II
CHEM 1311 General Chemistry I
CHEM 1312 General Chemistry II
or EPPS 3405 Introduction to Social Statistics with Lab
Biology Major Core Courses (32 hours)
BIOL 3101 Classical and Molecular Genetics Workshop
BIOL 3102 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology Workshop
BIOL 3161 Biochemistry Workshop I
BIOL 3162 Biochemistry Workshop II
or BIOL 3335 Microbial Physiology
BIOL 3301 Classical and Molecular Genetics
BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology
BIOL 3318 Forensic Biology
BIOL 3361 Biochemistry I
BIOL 3362 Biochemistry II
BIOL 3380 Biochemistry Laboratory
III. Elective Requirements: 15 hours
All students are required to take at least six hours of advanced electives outside their major field of study. These must be either upper-division classes or lower-division classes that have prerequisites. These may be satisfied with CHEM 2323 and 2325, counted under Major Preparatory Courses.
Guided Electives (15 hours)
Biology (6 hours): BIOL 4380 Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory
Criminology Related Electives (9 hours)
All students must complete at least 51 hours of upper-division credit to graduate.
1. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from accredited institutions of higher education. The courses listed in parenthesis are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major requirements at UT Dallas.
2. Double majors may choose CRIM 3300, BIOL 4337, BIOL 4390, BIOL 4391, BIOL 4398, BIOL 4399, PSCI 3325, NATS 4310 or another approved Biology elective to fulfill the Core Curriculum Communication Elective.
3. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
4. Six hours of Calculus are counted under Mathematics Core, and 2 hours of Calculus are counted as Major Preparatory Courses.
5. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.