School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Economics and Finance (Double Major) with an emphasis in CFA®
Degree Requirements (132 hours)1
I. Core Curriculum Requirements2: 42 hours
Communication (6 hours)
Social and Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
Mathematics and Quantitative Reasoning (6 hours)4
Science (9 hours including at least one course with a substantial laboratory component)
II. Major Requirements: 66 hours
Major Preparatory Courses (18 hours)
- ACCT 2301 Introductory Financial Accounting5
- ACCT 2302 Introductory Management Accounting5
- BLAW 2301 Business and Public Law5
- ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics3, 5
- ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics5
- MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I3, 4, 5
- MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II3, 4, 5
- MATH 2333 Matrices, Vectors and Their Application5, 6
Major Core Courses (48 hours)
- BCOM 3311 Business Communications3, 5
- BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communications
- FIN 3320 Business Finance
- MIS 3300 Introduction to Management Information Systems
- OPRE 3310 Operations Management
- OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
- MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
- FIN 3390 Introduction to Financial Modeling
- BPS 4305 Strategic Management
- FIN 4300 Investment Management
- IMS 3310 International Business
- ECON 3310 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory5
- ECON 3311 Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory5
- ECON 4351 Mathematical Economics
- ECON 4355 Econometrics
- OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
- or STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics5
- ACCT 3320 Financial Information Management
III. Elective Requirements: 24 hours
- Degree is 133 hours if student is required to take EPPS 1110.
- Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from accredited institutions of higher education. The courses listed in parentheses are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
- A Major requirement that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
- These hours are counted under Mathematics Core; students may substitute MATH 2313 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
- Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes in Economics and Finance.
- Students may substitute MATH 2418, OPRE 3333 or CS 2305.