Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Finance
Degree Requirements (120 hours)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements1: 42 hours
Communication (6 hours)
Social and Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
Mathematics and Quantitative Reasoning: (6 hours)
- 6 hours Calculus (MATH 1325 and 1326)
Science (9 hours including at least one course with a substantial laboratory component)
II. Major Requirements: 72 hours
Major Preparatory Courses (18 hours)
- ACCT 23012 Introductory Financial Accounting
- ACCT 23022 Introductory Management Accounting
- BLAW 23012 Business and Public Law
- ECON 23012 Principles of Macroeconomics3
- ECON 23022 Principles of Microeconomics
- MATH 13252 Applied Calculus I3, 4
- MATH 13262 Applied Calculus II3, 4
- OPRE 33332 Quantitative Business Analysis
- or MATH 23332 Matrices, Vectors, and Their Application5
- STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
- or OPRE 3360 Managerial Decision Making under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses (25 hours)
- FIN 3100 Professional Development
- BCOM 3311 Business Communications3
- BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communications
- FIN 3320 Business Finance
- MIS 3300 Introduction to Management Information Systems
- OPRE 3310 Operations Management
- OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
- MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
- BPS 4305 Strategic Management
- IMS 3310 International Business
Major Related Courses (9 hours)
Guided Electives (20 hours)
Nine hours of finance to be selected from:
Six hours to be selected from:
- FIN 3340, FIN 4350, FIN 4360, FIN 3365, FIN 4380, FIN 4399, FIN 4V80, FIN 4V90, FIN 4V91, REAL 3305, ECON 3310, ECON 3311.
Five hours of accounting to be selected from:
III. Elective Requirements: 6 hours
Advanced Electives (6 hours)
All students are required to take at least six hours of Advanced Electives outside their major field of study. These must be either upper-division classes or lower-division classes that have prerequisites. Six hours may be satisfied with OPRE 3333/MATH 2333 and OPRE 3360/STAT 3360 counted under Major Preparatory courses.
Free Electives (6 hours)
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 hours of upper-division credit to qualify for graduation. JSOM freshman are required to take BA 1100 Business Basics.
- Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from accredited institutions of higher education. The courses listed in parentheses are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
- Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
- A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
- Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and 2419.
- Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.