School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences
Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Biology (Double Major)
Degree Requirements (128-130 hours)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements1: 42 hours
Communication (6 hours)
Social and Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
II. Major Requirements: 71-73 hours
Criminology Major Preparatory Course (No hours beyond Core Curriculum)
Criminology Core Courses (24 hours)
Biology Major Preparatory Courses (15-17 hours beyond Core Curriculum)
- CHEM 1111 General Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 1112 General Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHEM 1311 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 1312 General Chemistry II
- CHEM 21235 Introductory Organic Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 21255 Introductory Organic Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHEM 23235 Introductory Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 23255 Introductory Organic Chemistry II
- MATH 2413 Differential Calculus and MATH 2414 Integral Calculus3, 4
- or MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I and either STAT 3332 Statistics for Life Sciences
- or EPPS 3405 Introduction to Social Statistics with Lab
- PHYS 2325 and PHYS 2125 Mechanics with Laboratory
- or PHYS 1301 and PHYS 2125 College Physics I with Laboratory
- PHYS 2326 and PHYS 2126 Electromagnetism and Waves with Laboratory
- or PHYS 1302 and PHYS 2126 College Physics II with Laboratory
Biology Major Core Courses (32 hours)
- BIOL 21115 Introduction to Modern Biology Workshop I
- BIOL 21125 Introduction to Modern Biology Workshop II
- BIOL 22815 Introductory Biology Laboratory
- BIOL 23115 Introduction to Modern Biology I
- BIOL 23125 Introduction to Modern Biology II
- BIOL 3101 Classical and Molecular Genetics Workshop
- BIOL 3102 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology Workshop
- BIOL 3161 Biochemistry Workshop I
- BIOL 3162 Biochemistry Workshop II
- or BIOL 3335 Microbial Physiology
- BIOL 3301 Classical and Molecular Genetics
- BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology
- BIOL 3318 Forensic Biology
- BIOL 3361 Biochemistry I
- BIOL 3362 Biochemistry II
- BIOL 3380 Biochemistry Laboratory
III. Elective Requirements: 15 hours
All students are required to take at least six hours of advanced electives outside their major field of study. These must be either upper-division classes or lower-division classes that have prerequisites. These may be satisfied with CHEM 2323 and 2325, counted under Major Preparatory Courses.
Guided Electives (15 hours)
Biology (6 hours): BIOL 4380 Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory
Criminology Related Electives (9 hours)
All students must complete at least 51 hours of upper-division credit to graduate.
- Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from accredited institutions of higher education. The courses listed in parenthesis are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major requirements at UT Dallas.
- Double majors may choose CRIM 3300, BIOL 4337, BIOL 4390, BIOL 4391, BIOL 4398, BIOL 4399, PSCI 3325, NATS 4310 or another approved Biology elective to fulfill the Core Curriculum Communication Elective.
- A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
- Six hours of Calculus are counted under Mathematics Core, and 2 hours of Calculus are counted as Major Preparatory Courses.
- Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.