Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Professors: Ashiq Ali @axa042200, William M. Cready @wmc041000, Umit G. Gurun @ugg041000, Stanimir Markov @sxm079200, Suresh Radhakrishnan @sradhakr, Gil Sadka @gxs143630
Associate Professors: Zhonglan Dai @zxd051000, Rebecca Files @rlf092000, Surya N. Janakiraman @suryaj, Ningzhong Li @nxl124130, Maria Loumioti @mxl175830, Ramachandran (Ram) Natarajan @nataraj, Naim Bugra Ozel @nbo150030, Jieying Zhang @jxz146230, Yuan Zhang @yxz122931, Yibin Zhou @yxz066000
Assistant Professors: Rafael Copat @rxc190027, Ying Huang @yxh124430, Jedson Pinto @jpp200002, Kirti Sinha @kxs190050
Clinical Professors: John Gamino @jpg140630
Professors of Instruction: Mary Beth Goodrich @goodrich, Chris Linsteadt @ccl019000
Associate Professor of Instruction: Jennifer G. Johnson @jxj091000
Assistant Professor of Instruction: Joseph Mauriello @jam151430
Professors of Practice: Gregory Ballew @geb011100, Tiffany A. Bortz @tabortz
Associate Professors of Practice: Steven Solcher @sjs107020, Kathy Zolton @kxz121730
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Communication Core courses (see advisor)
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences Core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture Core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts Core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History Core courses (see advisor)
Government/Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Government/Political Science Option courses (see advisor)
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours7
Choose one of the following:
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Social and Behavioral Sciences Core courses
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours7
Choose two of the following:
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Component Area Option Core courses
II. Major Requirements: 75-78 semester credit hours
Students must meet all course prerequisites.
Major Preparatory Courses: 15-18 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
or CS 2305 Discrete Mathematics for Computing I
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
or STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
And two of the following:7
Major Core Courses: 27 semester credit hours
BCOM 4300 Advanced Professional Communication
BPS 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Business
or ENTP 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Entrepreneurship
FIN 3320 Business Finance
IMS 3310 International Business
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
or OBHR 3330 Introduction to Human Resource Management
OPRE 3310 Supply Chain and Operations Management
Major Related Courses: 21 semester credit hours
ACCT 3312 Fundamentals of Accounting Analytics
ACCT 3331 Intermediate Financial Accounting I
ACCT 3332 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
ACCT 3341 Cost Management Systems
ACCT 3350 Fundamentals of Taxation
ACCT 4334 Auditing
ACCT 4342 Accounting Information Systems and Financial Reporting
NOTE: The courses listed below can satisfy Guided Elective requirements in prior BS Accounting catalogs if not used elsewhere on the student's degree plan.
A practicum experience of at least 160 working hours is required, with registration in one of the courses below. Depending on the internship and preference for additional electives, the student may qualify for a zero to 3 semester credit hours course with the BS ACCT Program Director's approval.
ACCT 4V80 Professional Internship in Accounting
Choose from the following to fulfill the remaining Guided Elective semester credit hours:
ACCT 3322 Integrated Accounting Information Systems
ACCT 3354 Sustainability Reporting and Control
ACCT 4301 Database Systems
ACCT 4302 Accounting Research
ACCT 4336 Financial Statement Analysis
ACCT 4337 Business Valuation
ACCT 4340 Survey of Accounting Software
FIN 3390 Introduction to Financial Modeling
III. Elective Requirements: 0-3 semester credit hours
A community engagement experience is required, with registration in one of the courses below. Depending on the service and preference for additional electives, the student has the option of zero or 3 semester credit hours.
BPS 4396 Social Impact and Community Engagement
or ENTP 4340 Social Sector Entrepreneurship and Community Engagement
or MKT 4360 Social Impact Marketing
or BA 4095 Social Sector Engagement and Community Outreach Practicum
Free electives may be used to fulfill the remaining Elective semester credit hours10
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives.
The plan must include sufficient upper-division courses to total 45 upper-division semester credit hours.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. MATH 1325 is required for all JSOM undergraduate students. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 or MATH 2417 for MATH 1325. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2414 or MATH 2419 for MATH 1326.
6. To make timely degree progress, students should complete MATH 1325 or its equivalent by the end of their first semester at UT Dallas. Students who will not meet this requirement should contact their academic advisor to discuss their degree timeline.
7. Certain courses listed are prerequisites for major core, major concentration, or major related courses. Choose accordingly.
8. Students who are employed in full-time jobs may fulfill their internship requirement with their current employer as a special project with preapproval from their program director.
9. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305 for OPRE 3333 or MATH 2333.
10. Free Electives of 0 to 3 semester credit hours are required for the B.S. in Accounting. Students who choose MATH 1326 or MATH 2414 or MATH 2419 or PHIL 2303 instead of OPRE 3340 will require a total of 3 semester credit hours of free electives to meet the 120 semester credit hour requirement for graduation. Students who choose OPRE 3340 instead of MATH 1326 or MATH 2414 or MATH 2419 or PHIL 2303 will require another 090 Component Area Option Core course to meet the 120 semester credit hour requirement for graduation.
11. JSOM first-time-in-college freshmen are required to take BCOM 1300 in their first semester. Transfer students and students new to JSOM are required to take BCOM 3300 in their first semester.
12. Students may use up to 6 semester credit hours of graduate level accounting courses to satisfy undergraduate accounting electives if fast-track eligibility requirements are met. Students interested in this option must see the Undergraduate Accounting Program Director or Accounting Associate Area Coordinator for approval.
13. Students admitted to the Professional Program in Accounting will be required to register for a one-credit hour elective in the spring semester of the junior year.
14. CPA Requirements: The following accounting electives may be used to satisfy the 30 Accounting Hours Requirement for the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy: ACCT 3322, ACCT 3354, ACCT 4302, ACCT 4336, ACCT 4337, or ACCT 4V80.