Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Marketing
Degree Requirements (120 semester credit hours)1
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
II. Major Requirements: 64 semester credit hours
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
or OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses: 28 semester credit hours
MKT 3100 Professional Development
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
IMS 3310 International Business
Major Related Courses: 12 semester credit hours
MKT 3340 Marketing Research
MKT 4330 Digital and Internet Marketing
MKT 3330 Introduction to Professional Selling
MKT 4380 Capstone Course in Marketing
Guided Electives: 9 semester credit hours
Three semester credit hours to be selected from:
Six semester credit hours to be selected from:
MKT 3V92, MKT 4321, MKT 3320, MKT 4331, MKT 4332, MKT 4333, MKT 4334, MKT 4335, MKT 4336, MKT 4337, MKT 4338 MKT 4340, MKT 4350, MKT 4351, MKT 4360, MKT 4370, MKT 4V83, MKT 4V90, MKT 4V93, ATEC 4341, BA 4299, BA 4199, ECON 3310, ENTP 3301, (ENTP 4311 or ENTP 4330), IMS 4310, MKT 4320, ITSS 4312
III. Elective Requirements: 14 semester credit hours
Free Electives: 14 semester credit hours
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
JSOM freshmen are required to take BA 1100 Business Basics.
Each student is expected to complete a minimum of 160 hours of business-related work to fulfill the JSOM professional practicum requirement.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
6. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.