Naveen Jindal School of Management
Healthcare Management and Molecular Biology (Double Major) (BS)
Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management and Molecular Biology (Double Major)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours3
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
II. Major Requirements: 96 semester credit hours
Business Major Preparatory Courses: 16 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
HMGT 3100 Professional Development
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
or STAT 2332 Introductory Statistics for Life Sciences
or STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
Business Core Courses: 27 semester credit hours
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
IMS 3310 International Business
Biology Major Preparatory Courses: 20 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
CHEM 1111 General Chemistry Laboratory I
CHEM 1112 General Chemistry Laboratory II
PHYS 2325 Mechanics
PHYS 2125 Physics Laboratory I
PHYS 2326 Electromagnetism and Waves
PHYS 2126 Physics Laboratory II
UNIV 1010 Freshman Seminar
Biology Core Courses: 33 semester credit hours
BIOL 3101 Classical and Molecular Genetics Workshop
BIOL 3102 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology Workshop
BIOL 3161 Biochemistry Workshop I
BIOL 3162 Biochemistry Workshop II
BIOL 3301 Classical and Molecular Genetics
BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology
BIOL 3361 Biochemistry I
BIOL 3362 Biochemistry II
or BIOL 3335 Microbial Physiology
BIOL 3380 Biochemistry Laboratory
BIOL 4461 Biophysical Chemistry
III. Elective Requirements: 15 semester credit hours
Healthcare Management Core Courses: 12 semester credit hours
HMGT 3301 Introduction to Healthcare Management
HMGT 3311 Healthcare Accounting
HMGT 4321 Introduction to Healthcare Information Systems
HMGT 3310 Healthcare Regulatory Environment
Biology (3 semester credit hours):
BIOL 3V96 Undergraduate Research in Molecular and Cell Biology
BIOL 4391 Senior Research in Molecular and Cell Biology: Advanced Writing
BIOL 4399 Senior Honors Research in Molecular and Cell Biology: Thesis/Advanced Writing
Each student is expected to complete a minimum of 160 hours of business-related work to fulfill the JSOM professional practicum requirement.
All students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to graduate.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Degree is 154 semester credit hours if students are required to take BA 1100 or NATS 1101.
3. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Six semester credit hours of Calculus are counted under Mathematics Core and Component Area Option Core, and 2 semester credit hours of Calculus are counted as Biology Major Preparatory Courses.
6. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
7. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.
8. Requires permission of the Biology Undergraduate Advisor to ensure training in recombinant DNA analysis.