Naveen Jindal School of Management
Healthcare Management (BS)
Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
Degree Requirements (120 semester credit hours)1
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
II. Major Requirements: 70 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
or OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Business Core Courses: 28 semester credit hours
HMGT 3100 Professional Development
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
IMS 3310 International Business
Healthcare Management Core Courses: 18 semester credit hours
HMGT 3301 Introduction to Healthcare Management
ECON 3330 Economics of Health
HMGT 3311 Healthcare Accounting
HMGT 4321 Introduction to Healthcare Information Systems
HMGT 3310 Healthcare Regulatory Environment
HMGT 4351 Management, Design and Optimization of Healthcare Processes
Healthcare Management Upper-Division Guided Electives: 9 semester credit hours
Choose three courses from the following:
HMGT 4392 International Healthcare Management and Leadership
ENTP 3301 Innovation and Entrepreneurship
ENTP 4320 Small Business Management
HLTH 3101 Medical Terminology
HLTH 3301 Issues in Geriatric Healthcare
ITSS 4300 Database Fundamentals
ITSS 4351 Foundations of Business Intelligence
MKT 4331 Digital Prospecting
PSCI 4365 Law and Medicine
OBHR 3311 Principles of Management
OBHR 4300 Management of Non-Profit Organizations
OBHR 4310 Business Ethics
OBHR 4352 Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
OBHR 4360 Capstone in Organizational Behavior
OPRE 3330 Project Management
SPAN 2341 Medical Spanish
III. Elective Requirements: 8 semester credit hours
Free Electives: 8 semester credit hours
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
JSOM freshmen are required to take BA 1100 Business Basics.
Each student is expected to complete a minimum of 160 hours of business-related work to fulfill the JSOM professional practicum requirement.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
6. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.
7. A practicum experience is required; the student has the option of zero to 3 semester credit hours, depending on the particular internship, and preference for additional electives.