Naveen Jindal School of Management
Healthcare Management and Molecular Biology (Double Major) (BS)
Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management and Molecular Biology (Double Major)
Professors: Ashiq Ali @axa042200, Gary Bolton @gxb122130, Huseyin Cavusoglu @huseyin, Jianqing Chen @jxc111031, William M. Cready @wmc041000, Gregory G. Dess @ggd021000, Umit G. Gurun @ugg041000, Kyle Hyndman @tdp062000, Varghese S. Jacob @vjacob, Dmitri Kuksov @dgk120030, Nanda Kumar @nkumar, Seung-Hyun Lee @sxl029100, Stanley Liebowitz @liebowit, Zhiang (John) Lin @zlin, Sumit K. Majumdar @skm021100, Syam Menon @sxm021300, Vijay S. Mookerjee @vijaym, B. P. S. Murthi @murthi, Vikram Nanda @vkn150030, Mike W. Peng @mxp059000, Hasan Pirkul @hpirkul, Suresh Radhakrishnan @sradhakr, Srinivasan Raghunathan @sraghu, Ram C. Rao @rrao, Brian Ratchford @btr051000, Michael J. Rebello @mjr071000, Gil Sadka @gxs143630, Sumit Sarkar @sumit, Wing Kwong (Eric) Tsang @wkt071000, Jun Xia @jxx132030, Ying Xie @yxx124930, Harold Zhang @hxz054000, Zhiqiang (Eric) Zheng @zxz062000
Associate Professors: Mehmet Ayvaci @mua120030, Nina Baranchuk @nxb043000, Zhonglan Dai @zxd051000, Rebecca Files @rlf092000, Surya N. Janakiraman @suryaj, Robert L. Kieschnick Jr. @rkiesch, Atanu Lahiri @axl144730, Jun Li @jxl128031, Ningzhong Li @nxl124130, Lívia Markóczy @lxm055000, Ramachandran (Ram) Natarajan @nataraj, Naim Bugra Ozel @nbo150030, Young U. Ryu @ryoung, Harpreet Singh @hxs104000, Upender Subramanian @uxs092000, Shaojie Tang @sxt146930, Kelsey D. Wei @kdw061000, Han (Victor) Xia @hxx110930, Yexiao Xu @yexiaoxu, Alejandro Zentner @axz051000, Jieying Zhang @jxz146230, Yuan Zhang @yxz122931, Zhe (James) Zhang @zxz145430, Feng Zhao @fxz082000, Yibin Zhou @yxz066000
Assistant Professors: Sheen Levine @ssl140530, Radha Mookerjee @rvm019000, Alejandro Rivera Mesias @axr150331, Christian Von-Drathen @cxv141430, Guihua Wang @gxw130630, Steven Xiao @sxx150930
Associate Professors Emeriti: J. Richard Harrison @harrison, Jane Salk @jes025000, David J. Springate @spring8
Visiting Professor: Emily Choi @exc113230
Clinical Professors: John Barden @jpb063000, Britt Berrett @brb051000, Abhijit Biswas @axb019100, Shawn Carraher @smc130730, Larry Chasteen @chasteen, Howard Dover @hfd021000, John Gamino @jpg140630, Randall S. Guttery @rxg112530, William Hefley @weh150130, Marilyn Kaplan @mkaplan, Peter Lewin @plewin, Jeffrey Manzi @jxm158130, John F. McCracken @jfm, Diane S. McNulty @dmcnulty, Daniel Rajaratnam @dxr143430, Kannan Ramanathan @kxr087000, Mark Thouin @mxt083000, Habte Woldu @wolduh, Fang Wu @fxw052000, Laurie L. Ziegler @ziegler
Clinical Associate Professors: Shawn Alborz @sxa063000, Dawn Owens @dmo130130, Carolyn Reichert @carolyn
Clinical Assistant Professors: Moran Blueshtein @mxb135230, Jeffery (Jeff) Hicks @jnh061000, Kristen Lawson @kal110030, Liping Ma @lxm133730, Ravi Narayan @rln130030, Parneet Pahwa @pxp030100, Nassim Sohaee @nxs045000
Professors of Instruction: Semiramis Amirpour @sxa130731, Mary Beth Goodrich @goodrich, Chris Linsteadt @ccl019000, Matt Polze @mmp062000, Luell (Lou) Thompson @lot013000
Associate Professors of Instruction: Judd Bradbury @jdb101000, Amal El-Ashmawi @ahe013000, Ayfer Gurun @axg119030, Maria Hasenhuttl @h1562, Julie Haworth @haworth, Thomas (Tom) Henderson @txh093000, Jennifer G. Johnson @jxj091000, Hubert Zydorek @hxz120930
Assistant Professors of Instruction: Daniel Karnuta @dxk173030, Joseph Mauriello @jam151430, Victoria D. McCrady @vdm130030
Professors of Practice: Tiffany A. Bortz @tabortz, Alexander Edsel @ade012000, Rajiv Shah @rxs079000, Keith Thurgood @klt160130
Associate Professors of Practice: Richard Bowen @rxb073100, Jackie Kimzey @jxk092000, Margaret Smallwood @meg012400, Steven Solcher @sjs107020, Kathy Zolton @kxz121730
Assistant Professors of Practice: Edward Meda @exm150330, Timothy Stephens @tgs170130, Robert Wright @rgw091000
Professors: Rockford K. Draper @draper, Juan E. González @jgonzal, Lawrence J. Reitzer @reitzer, Stephen Spiro @sxs067400, Li Zhang @lxz075000, Michael Qiwei Zhang @mqz091000
Associate Professors: Jeff L. DeJong @dejong, Nikki Delk @nad140230, Heng Du @hxd131030, Tae Hoon Kim @txk142630, Faruck Morcos @afg150230, Kelli Palmer @klp120030, Duane D. Winkler @ddw130330, Zhenyu Xuan @zxx091000
Assistant Professors: Nicole De Nisco @njd160330, Nicholas Dillon @nxd210018, Purna Joshi @pxj210010, Jyoti Misra @jrm190003, Darshan Sapkota @dxs210043
Professors Emeriti: Hans Bremer @hxb068000, Lee A. Bulla @bulla, Donald M. Gray @dongray
Associate Professors Emeriti: Gail A. M. Breen @breen, Dennis L. Miller @dmiller
Clinical Professor: David Murchison @dfm100020
Research Assistant Professors: Lan Guo @lxg132130, Li Liu @lliu
Professors of Instruction: Scott A. Rippel @rippel, Uma Srikanth @ukrish
Associate Professors of Instruction: Mehmet Candas @candas, Wen-Ju Lin @wenju, Elizabeth Pickett @eaw016100, Ilya Sapozhnikov @isapoz
Assistant Professors of Instruction: Ida Klang @ixk190014, Meenakshi Maitra @mxm172731, Caitlin Maynard @cmb170830, Iti Mehta @ixm121430, Ramesh Padmanabhan @rxp104120, Jing Pan @jxp134330, Ruben D. Ramirez @rdr092000, Eva Sadat @exs190014, Subha Sarcar @sns064000, Michelle Wilson @mxw084000, Zhuoru Wu @zxw190014
Senior Lecturer: Wen-Ho Yu @why061000
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours3
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Communication Core courses (see advisor)
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Mathematics Core courses (see advisor)
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences Core courses (see advisor)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture Core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts Core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History Core courses (see advisor)
Government/Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Government/Political Science Core courses (see advisor)
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
Choose one of the following:9
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Social and Behavioral Sciences Core courses (see advisor)
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
Choose two of the following:9
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Component Area Option Core courses (see advisor)
II. Major Requirements: 89-90 semester credit hours
Biology Major Preparatory Courses: 20-21 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
CHEM 1111 General Chemistry Laboratory I
or CHEM 1115 Honors Freshman Chemistry Laboratory I
CHEM 1112 General Chemistry Laboratory II
or CHEM 1116 Honors Freshman Chemistry Laboratory II
PHYS 2326 Electromagnetism and Waves
or PHYS 2422 Honors Physics II - Electromagnetism and Waves
PHYS 2126 Physics Laboratory II
Biology Core Courses: 33 semester credit hours
BIOL 3101 Classical and Molecular Genetics Workshop
BIOL 3102 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology Workshop
BIOL 3161 Biochemistry Workshop I
BIOL 3162 Biochemistry Workshop II
BIOL 3301 Classical and Molecular Genetics
BIOL 3302 Eukaryotic Molecular and Cell Biology
BIOL 3361 Biochemistry I
BIOL 3362 Biochemistry II
or BIOL 3335 Microbial Physiology
BIOL 3380 Biochemistry Laboratory
BIOL 4461 Biophysical Chemistry
Business Major Preparatory Courses: 12 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum9
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
or STAT 2332 Introductory Statistics for Life Sciences
or STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
Choose two of the following:
Business Core Courses: 24 semester credit hours
BCOM 4300 Managing Communications in Business
IMS 3310 International Business
FIN 3320 Business Finance
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OBHR 3330 Introduction to Human Resource Management
or OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
III. Elective Requirements: 21 semester credit hours
A practicum experience of at least 160 working hours is required:
A community engagement experience is required:
Healthcare Management Core Courses: 18 semester credit hours
HMGT 3301 Introduction to Healthcare Management
HMGT 3310 Healthcare Regulatory Environment
HMGT 3311 Healthcare Financial Analysis
HMGT 3320 Complex and Dynamic Healthcare Environment
or ECON 3330 Economics of Health
HMGT 4321 Introduction to Healthcare Information Systems
HMGT 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Healthcare Management
or BPS 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Business
or ENTP 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Entrepreneurship
Biology (3 semester credit hours):
or BIOL 3V96 Undergraduate Research in Molecular and Cell Biology
or BIOL 4391 Senior Research in Molecular and Cell Biology
or BIOL 4399 Senior Honors Research for Thesis in Molecular and Cell Biology
All students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to graduate.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Degree is 153-154 semester credit hours if students are required to take NATS 1101.
3. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
4. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
5. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
6. Six semester credit hours of Calculus are counted under Mathematics Core and Component Area Option Core, and 2 semester credit hours of Calculus are counted as Biology Major Preparatory Courses.
7. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2417 for MATH 2413.
8. In order to make timely degree progress, students should complete MATH 2413 or MATH 2417 by the end of their first semester at UT Dallas. Students who will not meet this requirement should contact their academic advisor to discuss their degree timeline.
9. Certain courses listed are prerequisites for major core, major concentration, or major related courses. Choose accordingly.
10. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2419 for MATH 2414.
11. Students who complete PHYS 2421 do not need to complete PHYS 2125.
12. JSOM first-time-in-college freshmen are required to take BCOM 1300 in their first semester. Transfer students and students new to JSOM are required to take BCOM 3300 in their first semester.
13. Students may fulfill the internship requirement with HMGT 4090, BA 4090, or HMGT 4v90 (1-3 semester credit hours). The zero semester credit hour courses HMGT 4090 or BA 4090 are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy this requirement.
14. Students may fulfill the community engagement requirement with BA 4095, IMS 4335, ENTP 4340, or MKT 4360. The zero semester credit hour course BA 4095 is recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy this requirement.
15. Requires permission of the Biology Undergraduate Advisor to ensure training in recombinant DNA analysis.