Naveen Jindal School of Management
Finance and Economics (Double Major) (BS)
Bachelor of Science in Finance and Economics (Double Major)
Professors: Daniel G. Arce @dga071000, Kurt J. Beron @kberon, Dong Li @dxl145430, Donggyu Sul @dxs093000
Associate Professors: Rodney Andrews @rja091000, Seth Giertz @sxg154831, Susan Williams McElroy @skm028000, Darwin (Trey) Miller @dwm052000, Irina Panovska @ixp190001, Kevin Siqueira @kjs064000, Victor Valcarcel @vjv150130
Assistant Professors: Anne Burton @axb210050, Jonas Hedlund @jxh180030, Maria (Camila) Morales @mcm200006
Professor Emeritus: Todd Sandler @tms063000
Associate Professor of Instruction: Luba Ketsler @lxk010300
Assistant Professor of Instruction: William Grover @wcg071000
Professors: Ashiq Ali @axa042200, Gary Bolton @gxb122130, William M. Cready @wmc041000, Umit G. Gurun @ugg041000, Kyle Hyndman @tdp062000, Stanley Liebowitz @liebowit, Vikram Nanda @vkn150030, Suresh Radhakrishnan @sradhakr, Michael J. Rebello @mjr071000, Gil Sadka @gxs143630, Harold Zhang @hxz054000
Associate Professors: Nina Baranchuk @nxb043000, Zhonglan Dai @zxd051000, Rebecca Files @rlf092000, Michael Hasler @mxh190031, Surya N. Janakiraman @suryaj, Robert L. Kieschnick Jr. @rkiesch, Jun Li @jxl128031, Ningzhong Li @nxl124130, Ramachandran (Ram) Natarajan @nataraj, Naim Bugra Ozel @nbo150030, David J. Springate @spring8, Kelsey D. Wei @kdw061000, Han (Victor) Xia @hxx110930, Yexiao Xu @yexiaoxu, Alejandro Zentner @axz051000, Jieying Zhang @jxz146230, Yuan Zhang @yxz122931, Feng Zhao @fxz082000, Yibin Zhou @yxz066000
Assistant Professors: Christopher Mace @cxm200014, Jean-Marie Meier @jmm172030, Alejandro Rivera Mesias @axr150331, Simon Siegenthaler @sxs177933, Xiaoxiao Tang @xxt180003, Christian Von-Drathen @cxv141430, Pingle Wang @pxw200007, Steven Xiao @sxx150930
Clinical Professors: John Barden @jpb063000, John Gamino @jpg140630, Randall S. Guttery @rxg112530, Peter Lewin @plewin, Jeffrey Manzi @jxm158130
Clinical Associate Professor: Carolyn Reichert @carolyn
Clinical Assistant Professors: Moran Blueshtein @mxb135230, Revansiddha Khanapure @rbk160130, Liping Ma @lxm133730
Professors of Instruction: Mary Beth Goodrich @goodrich, Chris Linsteadt @ccl019000
Associate Professors of Instruction: Amal El-Ashmawi @ahe013000, Ayfer Gurun @axg119030, Jennifer G. Johnson @jxj091000, Hirofumi Nishi @hxn210016, Daniel Sibley @dcs170002
Professor of Practice: Tiffany A. Bortz @tabortz
Associate Professors of Practice: Julie Lynch @jxl180030, Jennifer Murray @jrm160330, Steven Solcher @sjs107020, Kathy Zolton @kxz121730
Assistant Professor of Practice: Steven Haynes @sxh102420
Senior Lecturers: Joseph Mauriello @jam151430, Robert (Stephen) Molina @sxm163630, Matt Polze @mmp062000
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours3
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Communication Core courses (see advisor)
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Mathematics Core courses (see advisor)
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences Core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture Core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts Core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History Core courses (see advisor)
Government/Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Government/Political Science Core courses (see advisor)
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours8
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Social and Behavioral Sciences Core courses
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours8
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Component Area Option Core courses
II. Major Requirements: 63 semester credit hours8
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses: 48 semester credit hours
BCOM 4300 Managing Communications in Business
IMS 3310 International Business
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
or OBHR 3330 Introduction to Human Resource Management
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
FIN 3390 Introduction to Financial Modeling
FIN 4310 Intermediate Financial Management
ECON 4351 Mathematical Economics
ECON 4355 Econometrics
FIN 4300 Investment Management
FIN 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Finance
or BPS 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Business
or ENTP 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Entrepreneurship
NOTE: Course prerequisites must be met.
III. Elective Requirements: 23 semester credit hours
A practicum experience of at least 160 working hours is required; the student has the option of zero to 3 semester credit hours, depending on the particular internship, and preference for additional electives.
FIN 4V80 Practicum in Finance
FIN 4080 Finance Internship
BA 4090 Management Internship
A community engagement experience is required; the student has the option of zero or 3 semester credit hours, depending on the particular experience, and preference for additional electives.
IMS 4335 Social Sector Entrepreneurship and Community Engagement
or ENTP 4340 Social Sector Entrepreneurship and Community Engagement
or MKT 4360 Social Impact Marketing
or BA 4095 Social Sector Engagement and Community Outreach Practicum
Choose from the following to fulfill remaining Elective semester credit hours:
Select 5-11 semester credit hours from: FIN 3305, FIN 3330, FIN 3340, FIN 3350, FIN 3365, FIN 3380, FIN 4313, FIN 4315, FIN 4320, FIN 4321, FIN 432812, FIN 433312, FIN 4336, FIN 4338, FIN 4340, FIN 4345, FIN 438012, or FIN 4390.
In Elective section above, other upper-division courses with a course prefix of ACCT, MATH, or STAT may be used to fulfill up to 3 semester credit hours of electives with advance written permission from the BS Finance Program Director.
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Degree is 129 semester credit hours if students are required to take EPPS 1110.
3. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
4. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes in Economics and Finance.
5. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
6. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 or MATH 2417 for MATH 1325.
7. In order to make timely degree progress, students should complete MATH 1325 or its equivalent by the end of their first semester at UT Dallas. Students who will not meet this requirement should contact their academic advisor to discuss their degree timeline.
8. Certain courses listed are prerequisites for major core, major concentration, or major related courses. Choose accordingly.
9. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2414 or MATH 2419 for MATH 1326.
10. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.
11. JSOM first-time-in-college freshmen are required to take BCOM 1300 in their first semester. Transfer students and students new to JSOM are required to take BCOM 3300 in their first semester.
12. Can be used to fulfill elective hours if not counted as a Major Core Course.