Naveen Jindal School of Management
Business Analytics (BS)
Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Communication Core courses (see advisor)
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Mathematics Core courses (see advisor)
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences Core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture Core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts Core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History Core courses (see advisor)
Government/Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Government/Political Science Core courses (see advisor)
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours7
Choose one of the following:7
Or select any 3 semester credit hours from Social and Behavioral Sciences Core courses (see advisor)
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours7
Choose two of the following:7
Or select any 6 semester credit hours from Component Area Option Core courses (see advisor)
II. Major Requirements: 69 semester credit hours
Major Preparatory Courses: 18 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
or STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
Choose two of the following:7
Major Core Courses: 24 semester credit hours
BCOM 4300 Managing Communications in Business
IMS 3310 International Business
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
or OBHR 3330 Introduction to Human Resource Management
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
A community engagement experience is required:
Major Related Courses: 27 semester credit hours
ITSS 4300 Database Fundamentals
ITSS 4351 Foundations of Business Intelligence
ITSS 4352 Introduction to Web Analytics
ITSS 4353 Business Analytics
ITSS 4354 Advanced Big Data Analytics
ITSS 4355 Data Visualization
ITSS 4380 Advanced Database Management
ITSS 4381 Object Oriented Programming with Python
BUAN 4395 Capstone Senior Project - Business Analytics
A practicum experience of at least 160 working hours is required:
BUAN 4090 Business Analytics Internship
or BA 4090 Management Internship
III. Elective Requirements: 9 semester credit hours
Guided Electives: 9 semester credit hours
The BS BUAN degree program gives students the opportunity to focus in a specific track to obtain in-depth knowledge in a specific business area. Students will choose 9 semester credit hours from one of the following tracks:
A. Marketing Analytics Track
MKT 4330 Digital and Internet Marketing
MKT 4331 Digital Prospecting
MKT 4334 Social Media Marketing
MKT 4337 Marketing Analytics
B. Operations and Supply Chain Management Track
OPRE 3320 Integrated Supply Chain Management
OPRE 4320 Integrated SCM Information Systems
OPRE 4330 Global Logistics and Inventory Management
OPRE 4350 Spreadsheet Modeling and Analytics
C. Finance and Risk Analytics Track
FIN 3370 Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
FIN 4334 Insurance Law and Contracts
FIN 4338 Financial Decision-Making Processes for Risk Management
FIN 4345 Financial Information and Analysis
FIN 4386 Beginning Mathematical Finance
FIN 4387 Computational Methods in Finance
D. Information Technology Track
ITSS 4330 Systems Analysis and Design
ITSS 4340 Enterprise Resource Planning
ITSS 4344 CRM using Salesforce
ITSS 4360 Network and Information Security
E. Data Science Track
ITSS 4382 Applied Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
ITSS 4383 Advanced Applied Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
MECO 4352 Applied Econometrics and Time Series Analysis
MECO 4370 Data Science Decision Making
All prerequisites must be met.
Students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 or MATH 2417 for MATH 1325. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2414 or MATH 2419 for MATH 1326.
6. In order to make timely degree progress, students should complete MATH 1325 or its equivalent by the end of their first semester at UT Dallas. Students who will not meet this requirement should contact their academic advisor to discuss their degree timeline.
7. Certain courses listed are prerequisites for major core, major concentration, or major related courses. Choose accordingly.
8. Students may substitute OPRE 3340, but MATH 1326 is recommended for efficiency.
9. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.
10. Students who have completed CS 1336 with a C or better may replace ITSS 3311 with an additional BUAN upper-division or ITSS upper-division course (excluding ITSS 4301).
11. JSOM first-time-in-college freshmen are required to take BCOM 1300 in their first semester. Transfer students and students new to JSOM are required to take BCOM 3300 in their first semester.
12. Students may fulfill the community engagement requirement with BA 4095, IMS 4335, ENTP 4340, or MKT 4360. The zero semester credit hour course BA 4095 is recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy this requirement.