UT Dallas 2013 Graduate Catalog

Tuition and Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Basis for the Type of Financial Aid

The aid package awarded to a student may consist of a loan, grant, scholarship, part-time job, or any combination of these programs. The total amount of aid the student receives depends on the level of financial need, submission of appropriate financial information and applications, academic records, and the availability of funds.

Types of Financial Aid

Following is a summary of the types of assistance that are available to graduate students at The University of Texas at Dallas. The student should be aware that many of the programs are subject to change without notice by the state or federal government. Information on all programs may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid unless otherwise noted.

Texas Public Education Grant

An act of the 64th Texas Legislature established a grant program to provide financial assistance to students. This program is funded through appropriation of a portion of the tuition charge for resident and nonresident students. Texas Public Education Grants may be awarded through the Office of Financial Aid depending upon need and availability.

Educational Assistance Grant

Funds through this program are made available through a set-aside of Designated Tuition. Graduate students demonstrating financial need, as determined through a completed FAFSA, will be considered for this program. Amount of the award will vary each year based on availability of funds.

International Education Fund Scholarship

Through the proceeds from the International Education fee, scholarships are available for study-abroad programs. These scholarships are open to both graduate and undergraduate students enrolled at least one-half time. Graduate students must be admitted to a degree program and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. While abroad, the recipient of this scholarship must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. Coursework undertaken must apply to the student's degree program.

Hazlewood Veteran Tuition Exemption

Certain veterans, who have served on active military duty, are eligible for exemption from the payment of tuition, general fee and laboratory fees. These exemptions may also apply to the children of those veterans who have served on active duty. Detailed information regarding this program is available at the College for All Texans website. Applications are available in the Office of Financial Aid or online at http://financial-aid.utdallas.edu.

Federal Perkins Loan Program

This loan program provides a combination of federal and institutional funds to students who qualify on the basis of financial need. Priority is given to those students who demonstrate exceptional need.

A graduate student may borrow up to a maximum amount of $30,000 which includes all undergraduate Federal Perkins loans.

A Federal Perkins loan bears a modest interest rate. Borrowers are required to begin repayment of principal and interest nine months after they cease to be at least half-time students. Repayment may extend over a ten-year period; however, there is a minimum rate of repayment.

The application for this program is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Hinson-Hazlewood College Student Loan Program

Texas residents who meet eligibility requirements may borrow funds to meet a portion of their school expenses. The loan carries a modest interest rate. Repayment begins six months after graduation or withdrawal from the university. The application for this loan is found at www.hhloans.com.

Federal Stafford Student Loan Program

Funds from this program are made available to students through the Federal Direct Loan Program. As of July 1, 2012 all graduate Stafford Loans will be unsubsidized. Financial need is not a requirement for the unsubsidized loan. The unsubsidized Stafford Loan accrues interest while the student is in school; a student may choose to pay the accruing interest while in school.

The loans are made at a modest interest rate and there exists a maximum amount which can be borrowed for a given academic year. The borrower will be required to begin repayment of principal and interest upon graduation or after he or she ceases to be at least a half-time student. Repayment may extend over ten years, but the program requires a minimum monthly payment. See http://www.utdallas.edu/student/finaid/dirlending.htm or http://studentloans.gov for additional information.

Short-Term Emergency Loans

Students needing emergency help with educational expenses may borrow from the short-term loan fund. The tuition, course related fees and the origination fee will be due 60 days from Census Day of the regular session in the fall or spring terms. For the regular summer session, the short term loan is due 30 days from Census Day. Contributions to these funds have been made by Mrs. Lloyd V. Berkner, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Castelli, the Kiwanis Club of Richardson, Rotary Club of Richardson, Richardson Savings and Loan Association, the First Texas Savings and Loan Association of Dallas, Richardson Altrusa Club, Chaparral Steel Company, and funds set aside out of student tuition.

Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study is awarded based on a student's financial need and the availability of funds. Federal funds are used to subsidize the student's hourly wages, making the eligible student more attractive to potential employers. Students are selected based on their demonstrated financial need as a result of submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Compensation depends on the type of job, qualifications, and classification. The number of hours and work schedule will vary depending on the position. For information on job availability, visit or contact the Career Center at 972-883-2943.

Other On-Campus Employment

Various programs and schools of the university employ students in positions that are not Federal Work-Study positions and are not based on need. In accordance with appropriate guidelines, pay scales depend on the type of job, qualifications, and classification. Students interested in these positions should contact the Career Center at 972-883-2943 or go online at http://www.utdallas.edu/career.

Information concerning student financial aid is accurate at the time of printing. Changes in regulations or policy on a federal, state, university, private lending, or donor level could affect the type and amount of programs available and/or program requirements. The Office of Financial Aid has detailed information available upon request.

Scholarship Programs

Information about a variety of scholarships awarded on the basis of academic merit and achievement is available from the Office of Financial Aid. The University of Texas at Dallas also offers a number of endowed scholarships that are administered by a school, department, or program. Students are encouraged to contact their school dean or program office to obtain information about eligibility criteria and scholarships awarded in the student's area of study

In accord with Chapter 51, of the Texas Education Code, all applications for competitive academic scholarships for graduate study are reviewed by the Committee on Student Scholarships and/or the Graduate Scholarship Committee in the appropriate academic unit.

Please visit UT Dallas Scholarships for more information.

Graduate Scholarships Selection Criteria:

  • Good academic standing
  • Show academic promise
  • Full or part-time
  • Pursuing a program of study leading to a degree
  • May show financial need but not required

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships are available on a limited basis in most graduate programs. Also, many faculty members have research projects which provide Research Assistantships. These Teaching and Research assistantships normally involve half-time employment and are awarded on the basis of merit. Students holding these assistantships must be enrolled for a minimum of nine semester hours for each regular semester in which the assistantship is awarded. The Dean of each school designates the minimum semester hours for a summer session. A student on a Teaching/Research Assistantship who is enrolled in the minimum number of hours and wishes to drop a course must obtain the signature of the Dean of Graduate Studies. Students on probation will not be supported on an assistantship. Applications should be made to the appropriate Graduate Program office at least 60 days prior to the date of registration.

Prior to their appointment as Teaching Assistants, international students must meet the English requirements described in the "English Requirements for Teaching Assistants" section. All TA's are required to attend TA Orientation held immediately prior to fall and spring semesters.

Updated: 2019-08-09 13:08:04 v2.b5f6f3