Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
II. Major Requirements: 74 semester credit hours
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours beyond Core Curriculum
STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
or OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses: 29 semester credit hours
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
ITSS 3300 Information Technology for Business
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
IMS 3310 International Business
Major Related Courses: 18 semester credit hours
ACCT 3331 Intermediate Financial Accounting I
ACCT 3332 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
ACCT 3341 Cost Management Systems
ACCT 3350 Fundamentals of Taxation
ACCT 4334 Auditing
ACCT 4342 Analysis and Design of Accounting Systems
A practicum experience is required; the student has the option of zero to 3 semester credit hours, depending on the particular internship, and preference for additional electives.
ACCT 4V80 Professional Internship in Accounting
BA 4090 Management Internship
Choose from the following to fulfill remaining Guided Elective semester credit hours:
ACCT 3322 Integrated Accounting Information Systems
ACCT 4301 Database Systems
ACCT 4336 Financial Statement Analysis
ACCT 4337 Business Valuation
ACCT 4340 Survey of Accounting Software
FIN 3330 Personal Financial Planning
FIN 3360 Entrepreneurial Finance
FIN 3380 International Financial Management
FIN 3390 Introduction to Financial Modeling
ITSS 4340 Enterprise Resource Planning
OPRE 4350 Spreadsheet Modeling and Analytics
III. Elective Requirements: 4 semester credit hours
Free Electives: 4 semester credit hours
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
1. Incoming freshmen must enroll and complete requirements of UNIV 1010 and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
6. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.
7. JSOM freshmen are required to take BA 1100 and ACCT 3100. Transfer students and students new to JSOM are required to take ACCT 3200.
8. Students may use up to 6 semester credit hours of graduate level accounting courses to satisfy undergraduate accounting electives if fast-track eligibility requirements are met. Students interested in this option must see John Barden, Undergraduate Accounting Program Director or Tiffany Bortz, Associate Area Coordinator for approval.
9. Students admitted to the Professional Program in Accounting will be required to register for a one-credit hour elective in the spring semester of the junior year.
10. CPA Requirements: The following accounting electives may be used to satisfy the 30 Accounting Hours Requirement for the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy: ACCT 3322, ACCT 4336, ACCT 4337, and ACCT 4V80.