Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Economics and Finance (Double Major)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours3
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
II. Major Requirements: 67 semester credit hours
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours
OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses: 52 semester credit hours
FIN 3100 Professional Development
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
FIN 3330 Personal Financial Planning
MIS 3300 Introduction to Management Information Systems
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
FIN 3390 Introduction to Financial Modeling
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
FIN 4310 Intermediate Business Finance
IMS 3310 International Business
ECON 4351 Mathematical Economics
ECON 4355 Econometrics
FIN 4300 Investment Management
III. Elective Requirements: 18 semester credit hours
Each student is expected to complete a minimum of 160 hours of business-related work to fulfill the JSOM professional practicum requirement.
1. Incoming freshmen must complete and pass UNIV 1010 Freshman Seminar and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Degree is 128 semester credit hours if student is required to take BA 1110.
3. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
4. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes in Economics and Finance.
5. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
6. Students may substitute MATH 2313 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
7. Students may substitute MATH 2418, OPRE 3333 or CS 2305.