Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Degree Requirements (120 semester credit hours)1
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 semester credit hours2
Communication: 6 semester credit hours
COMM 1311 Survey of Oral and Technology-based Communication
RHET 1302 Rhetoric
Mathematics: 3 semester credit hours
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I
Life and Physical Sciences: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from Life and Physical Sciences core courses (see advisor and degree requirements)
Language, Philosophy and Culture: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Language, Philosophy and Culture core courses (see advisor)
Creative Arts: 3 semester credit hours
Select any 3 semester credit hours from Creative Arts core courses (see advisor)
American History: 6 semester credit hours
Select any 6 semester credit hours from American History core courses (see advisor)
Government / Political Science: 6 semester credit hours
GOVT 2305 American National Government
GOVT 2306 State and Local Government
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 3 semester credit hours
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics
Component Area Option: 6 semester credit hours
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics
II. Major Requirements: 73 semester credit hours
Major Preparatory Courses: 15 semester credit hours
STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
or OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses: 28 semester credit hours
ACCT 3100 Professional Development
BCOM 3310 Business Communication
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
MIS 3300 Introduction to Management Information Systems
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
IMS 3310 International Business
Major Related Courses: 18 semester credit hours
ACCT 3331 Intermediate Financial Accounting I
ACCT 3332 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
ACCT 3341 Cost Management Systems
ACCT 3350 Fundamentals of Taxation
ACCT 4334 Auditing
ACCT 4342 Analysis and Design of Accounting Systems
Guided Electives: 12 hours
Electives may be any undergraduate chosen from a list of courses approved by the Director of Accounting Programs.
Students wishing to fast-track into the graduate program in accounting may take up to six semester credit hours of graduate ACCT electives.
III. Elective Requirements: 5 hours
Free Electives: 5 hours
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 semester credit hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation.
JSOM freshmen are required to take BA 1100 Business Basics.
Each student is expected to complete a minimum of 160 hours of business-related work to fulfill the JSOM professional practicum requirement.
1. Incoming freshmen must complete and pass UNIV 1010 Freshman Seminar and the corresponding school-related freshman seminar course. Students, including transfer students, who complete their core curriculum at UT Dallas must take UNIV 2020.
2. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from institutions of higher education. The courses listed are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
3. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
4. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Semester credit hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
5. Students may elect to substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
6. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.