Naveen Jindal School of Management
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Degree Requirements (120 hours)
I. Core Curriculum Requirements: 42 hours1
Communication (6 hours)
3 hours Communication (RHET 1302)
3 hours Communication Elective (BCOM 3311)
Social and Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
6 semester credit hours Government (GOVT 2301 and GOVT 2302)
6 hours American History
3 hours Social and Behavioral Science Elective (ECON 2301)
Humanities and Fine Arts (6 hours)
3 hours Fine Arts (ARTS 1301)
3 hours Humanities (HUMA 1301)
Mathematics and Quantitative Reasoning (6 hours)
6 hours Calculus (MATH 1325 and MATH 1326)
Science (9 hours including at least one course with a substantial laboratory component)
II. Major Requirements: 72 hours
Major Preparatory Courses (18 hours)
ACCT 2301 Introductory Financial Accounting2
ACCT 2302 Introductory Management Accounting2
BLAW 2301 Business and Public Law2
ECON 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics2, 3
ECON 2302 Principles of Microeconomics2
MATH 1325 Applied Calculus I2, 3, 4
MATH 1326 Applied Calculus II2, 3, 4
OPRE 3333 Quantitative Business Analysis2
or MATH 2333 Matrices, Vectors, and Their Application2, 5
STAT 3360 Probability and Statistics for Management and Economics
or OPRE 3360 Managerial Methods in Decision Making Under Uncertainty
Major Core Courses (25 hours)
ACCT 3100 Professional Development
BCOM 3311 Business Communication3
BCOM 4350 Advanced Business Communication
FIN 3320 Business Finance
MIS 3300 Introduction to Management Information Systems
OPRE 3310 Operations Management
OBHR 3310 Organizational Behavior
MKT 3300 Principles of Marketing
BPS 4305 Strategic Management
IMS 3310 International Business
Major Related Courses (18 hours)
ACCT 3331 Intermediate Financial Accounting I
ACCT 3332 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
ACCT 3341 Cost Management Systems
ACCT 3350 Fundamentals of Taxation
ACCT 4334 Auditing
ACCT 4342 Analysis and Design of Accounting Systems
Guided Electives (12 hours)
Electives may be any undergraduate chosen from a list of courses approved by the Director of Accounting Programs.
Students wishing to fast-track into the graduate program in accounting may take up to six hours of graduate ACCT electives.
III. Elective Requirements: 5 hours
Free Electives (5 hours)
Both lower- and upper-division courses may count as electives but students must complete at least 51 hours of upper-division courses to qualify for graduation. JSOM freshman are required to take BA 1100 Business Basics.
1. Curriculum Requirements can be fulfilled by other approved courses from accredited institutions of higher education. The courses listed in parentheses are recommended as the most efficient way to satisfy both Core Curriculum and Major Requirements at UT Dallas.
2. Indicates a prerequisite class to be completed before enrolling for upper-division classes.
3. A required Major course that also fulfills a Core Curriculum requirement. Hours are counted in Core Curriculum.
4. These hours are counted under Mathematics Core above; students may substitute MATH 2413 and MATH 2414 or MATH 2417 and MATH 2419.
5. Students may substitute MATH 2418 or CS 2305.